Print  Email   separator   Text Size: A  A  A

Registering with Garda National Immigration Bureau (GNIB)


Citizens from EU/EEA and Switzerland

It is not necessary to register with the immigration authorities.

All Other Students

All non-Irish nationals, who are not citizens of the EU/EEA or Switzerland, must register in person with the Garda National Immigration Bureau (GNIB) after arrival and after completion of registration at your third level institution. The GNIB will issue you with a residence permit/IRP card. The fee for this card is €300 and must be paid by credit card, laser card or bank giro.  


Garda National Immigration Bureau
13-14 Burgh Quay, 
Dublin 2, 
Tel: +353 1 666 9130 / 01
Download GNIB Location Map


Opening Hours
Mon. to Thurs.: 8.00am – 9.00pm


What you need to bring with you:

  1. Valid passport;
  2. Current student card;
  3. Evidence of financial support, e.g. current bank statement showing your name, a letter of guarantee from parent or guardian indicating availability of sufficient funds to sustain you for the duration of your stay in Ireland; or a letter from your sponsoring body confirming financial status.
  4. A letter from the college including your student status, start date and the duration of your course and stating that fees have been paid.
  5. Evidence of private health insurance.
  6. €300 - this must be paid by credit card, laser card or bank giro.