Why study at the National College of Art and Design?
The National College of Art & Design, Dublin, is Ireland’s leading provider of art and design education. Our city centre campus on Thomas Street in Dublin’s historic Liberties is home to a community of 1,500 undergraduate, graduate and part-time students engaged in a wide range of study and research across the disciplines of Design, Education, Fine Art and Visual Culture. NCAD has been the most significant provider of Art & Design education in Ireland for over 250 years and is a Recognised College of University College Dublin.
Dublin is a special place to study. Dublin’s rich cultural heritage and thriving arts and design scene, combined with inspiring natural landscape on its doorstep, create a unique place to study. Dublin is a vibrant and multicultural city, with the youngest and finest educated population in Europe.
Small cutting-edge galleries, creative studios and hubs, and national museums and institutions like IMMA and the newly restored National Gallery of Ireland, provide an inspirational resource and platform for Dublin’s vibrant community of artists, makers and designers.
Dublin is also where some of the world’s biggest and best companies have located key, strategic design research facilities, helping make Ireland the fastest growing economy in the European Union. And in Ireland, you’ll find a unique entrepreneurial ecosystem that sees our innovative graduates and researchers working hand-in-hand with small home-grown and start-up companies as well as international creative industries, leading brands and creative multinationals.
Our studio-based approach to teaching and research creates the environment for critical enquiry, radical experimentation and creative learning, helping our students and staff to address many of the real challenges confronting society, culture and contemporary business. NCAD is a creative community, and one of Europe’s leading higher education institutions for visual disciplines.
Our Thomas Street location in the historic Liberties has all the energy and excitement of a university campus with a full academic and student life as well as easy access to the dynamic urban and cultural environment of the city.
- You will gain a university degree from University College Dublin (UCD) which is ranked in the top 1% of world universities. NCAD is a Recognised College of University College Dublin.
- NCAD is a single discipline College, offering the largest range of art and design degrees in Ireland at undergraduate and postgraduate level.
- In NCAD you will experience small learning groups in studio, tutorials and seminars, we believe you learn as much from your peers as from your tutors and lecturers and that the creative process is not an individual solitary activity.
- You will be taught by a committed staff who are themselves experienced and practising visual artists, theorists and designers.
- All Students participate in end-of-year and degree exhibitions. Students are also encouraged to engage in other student or staff-led initiatives and opportunities to enter competitions and exhibit.
- Our campus facilities include individual studio space for all studio based students, the NCAD Library, the National Irish Visual Arts Library (NIVAL), the NCAD Gallery, the student concourse and Student’s Union area, the Luncheonette Café, the student gallery and a garden and outdoor area for sunny days.
More information: https://www.ncad.ie/study-at-ncad