Print  Email   separator   Text Size: A  A  A

Medical Insurance


Medical Insurance - Requirements

You may feel like you're invincible, but accidents happen to even the fittest of us. In any case, under immigration law, all non-EU students must have their own private medical insurance to get into Ireland. As well as accident and illness, the insurance should cover you for a stay in hospital.


You need to have proof of your private medical insurance when registering with the immigration authorities.

  • If you are part of a group insurance scheme operated by your college, a letter of enrolment mentioning this will be adequate proof for the authorities.
  • If you are not part of such a scheme, you must secure your own medical insurance from Ireland.
  • For newly-arrived first year students, Irish travel insurance will be proof enough if it covers you for one full year or where you are staying for the duration.
  • Proof will be required of insurance coverage of a minimum of €25,000 for accident and €25,000 for disease, and as stated, for any stays in hospital.
  • After the first year, travel insurance is no longer valid and you must source private medical insurance for any subsequent years.
  • For registration in second or later years, all non-EU students can show they are in receipt of private medical insurance from Ireland by way of a letter of renewal.

It's extremely important to note that the cancellation of medical insurance following registration is a breach of immigration conditions. Also Immigration Authorities do not have to register you if you fail to obtain proof of insurance in English.

EU Nationals

Students from EU member states who are in possession of the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) are entitled to public health services in Ireland.  This card is available from health authorities in your home country.  Further information to your rights on healthcare while here can be obtained on the EHIC website.


Dental Care

Subsidised dental care is not generally covered under medical or student services here, and, as dental treatment is relatively expensive in Ireland, students are advised to have a check-up before they travel. The Student Health Service can provide you with details of a local dentist if needed.

Meningitis C Vaccination

Although more cases occur in the under one (infant) age group, the highest mortality rate from Meningitis C is in the late teenage years, and students under 23 years of age are advised to get a vaccination before they  arrive.

The Irish Department of Health and Children has a national programme to immunise everyone up to and including 22 years of age against this illness.

Meningitis can kill within hours and it’s hugely important to know the symptoms - which are often confused with colds and flu. The most common symptoms are vomiting, fever, severe headache, painful joints and stiff neck. Other signs which develop as the disease takes hold include dislike of light, disorientation, reduced awareness - possibly leading to a coma and a red or purple rash which does not fade under pressure. If you are worried in any way or suspect you may have meningitis, contact your doctor or nearest hospital immediately. With meningitis, every second counts.