Who we are
RCSI is a really unique institution. Founded in 1784 as the national provider of surgical training in Ireland, we have evolved in the years since to become one of the world’s leading health sciences universities, with a global reach and operations in Ireland, the Middle East and Southeast Asia.
We are Ireland's only specialist health sciences university and the only Surgical Royal College in the world to offer undergraduate and graduate entry programmes in the disciplines of Medicine, Pharmacy, Physiotherapy and Advanced Therapeutic Technologies.
This makes RCSI globally distinctive in combining the deep clinical and health systems insights of a national professional body with the educational and research expertise of a world-leading health sciences university.
Our students learn in a truly immersive environment where teaching, research, public policy and outreach activities focus singularly on building multi-disciplinary excellence in healthcare.
For the last seven years, RCSI has consistently maintained its position among the world’s Top 250 universities in the Times Higher Education (THE) World University Rankings. THE also ranks RCSI at #1 in the world for ‘Good Health and Well-being’, which is testament to the huge commitment of our staff, students and researchers to enabling people to live long and healthy lives.
Why study at the RSCI University of Medicine and Health Sciences
1. Unique surgical heritage: RCSI was founded in 1784 as the professional body for surgical training in Ireland and has evolved since into a global leader in healthcare education and research.
2. Excellence in healthcare education: RCSI programmes are focused exclusively on the health sciences. Our curricula and approach to teaching are innovative, learner-centered and future-focused.
3. Leading pioneering research: RCSI is at the forefront of pioneering healthcare research and innovation, addressing the key health and wellness challenges of our time and improving patient outcomes.
4. State-of-the-art facilities: Home to Europe’s most advanced clinical simulation facility, RCSI’s city centre campus is also steeped in history and offers an exciting and immersive learning experience.
5. Vibrant student life: RCSI students enjoy a lively and stimulating social events calendar and are encouraged to get involved in any of our 50 student societies and 35 sports clubs.
6. International community: RCSI’s student body is exceptionally diverse and inclusive, and comprised of more than 4,500 students from Ireland and 95 other countries across the world.